Festival of Autonomy
‘Twas the 1st day of January, 1965 that the illustrious University of Newcastle was declared autonomous from its forebearer, the University of New South Wales as decreed by the Governor of New South Wales, Sir Eric Winslow Woodward. Since that fateful day, students at UoN have celebrated the Uni’s independence with celebrations in Semester 2 of each year, and 2012 will be no different.
In fact, this year the U is excited to announce the celebrations will be extended to cover a full week and include a broader range of events to capture the interest of any and every student on campus.
The week’s celebrations are still in development, but some of the fun things to look out for are historic re-enactments, campus markets, gigs, parties, debates, comedy, and much, much more. Follow our tumblr to keep up to date with all our announcements as they come to hand!
The full calendar is still being developed, but keep an eye on this site for more events as they are announced!
All week, 2 - 10 August
- Assassins of Autonomy game begins: Register online with the UoN Assassins Guild. This is a game of murder with a twist, which runs throughout the week of the festival of Autonomy. Compete in side missions and win prizes along the way, and the last player standing is the winner. The Game ends 12pm, Friday, 10 August on Oval 4. (FREE)
- Autonomy - The Exhibition: Everyday during the festival of Autonomy the Auchmuty Library is hosting a display of fantastic historical photos. (FREE)
- Vintage Photo booth: Step back in time as you step inside the vintage photo booth, then wait for your strip photos. At Bar on the Hill for the duration of the festival.
Thursday, 2 August
- Live Entertainment: Neon Connective. Head down to the Bar on the Hill for some lunchtime entertainment. Neon Connective are an exciting young quartet who are sure to lift your Thursday afternoon with their great mix of jazz, funk and pop tunes. (FREE)
- Hilltop Hoods (SOLD OUT): We’re excited to announce that Aussie hip hop royalty, Hilltop Hoods will be kicking off the Festival of Autonomy with a gig at Bar on the Hill. For more info, check out the event details here.
Friday, 3 August
- Intercollegiate Sports Comps
- University Quidditch Challenge: UoN vs UNSW - 1pm, Oval 4 (Behind Commonwealth Bank). 47 Years ago, autonomy from the University of NSW was achieved. Newcastle Quidditch Society aim to reassert that independence when they take on a select team from UNSW in the Quidditch challenge. (FREE)
- Rugby League Challenge Match: Newcastle Seahorses Vs Canberra Cows - 5pm, Sportsfield No 1. First up the Seahorse reserve grade side will be taking on a combined University Residents side from 5:30. Featuring players from Evatt, Teds and IH the Residents will be looking to back up their victory from their last start earlier in the season while the Seahorse reggies are chomping at the bit after 2 long weeks on the sidelines. This will be followed up with Seahorse 1sts taking on the Canberra Cows in the traditional Autonomy week clash. With both sides looking to cement their places in the top four it should be a bruising encounter. There will be DJs, drink specials, a BBQ and other events running during the course of the afternoon/evening. (FREE)
Monday, 6 August
- ICC Art Show: 11am - 2.30pm. The annual Inter-collegiate Art Show will be held in the Fosythe Cellar, Edwards Hall. Over 120 original artworks will be on show, with many of them available for purchase. Cast your vote in the People’s Choice Award. (FREE)
- Wii Wars: Every Monday at 3pm during semester the GT Bar descends into the game geek’s ultimate playground. Drop by, pick up a controller and show off your pop-culture skills in our video game competition that covers everyone’s favourite consols from Wii to Atari and SNES. (FREE)
- Poker: You should know by now that Monday night is Poker night at Bar on the Hill, join us from 4pm each week for free Texas Hold’em Poker…it’s sure to be a full house! (FREE)
- Comedy Debate: 7.30pm, GT Bar - Students go head to head in a comedy debate about the university. See the team from Yak magazine take on Feast. The event will be compered by local stand-up comedian, Richard Howard, who will also adjudicate the debate. (FREE)
Tuesday, 7 August
- ICC Art Show: 11am - 2.30pm. The annual Inter-collegiate Art Show will be held in the Fosythe Cellar, Edwards Hall. Over 120 original artworks will be on show, with many of them available for purchase. Cast your vote in the People’s Choice Award.(FREE)
- Free BBQ: Plan to forget your lunch on Tuesday as The U will be at it again with FREE SNAG SANDWICHES AND VEGGIE PATTIES from 12noon in the GT Bar. (FREE)
- Live entertainment: Head to the Derkenne Courtyard (inside the Shortland Building) for some live music this lunch time thanks to Leroy Lee from 12.30pm. (FREE)
- Bar Bingo: Why not come along to the GT Bar for silly games and the chance to win food vouchers and novelty prizes with Bar Bingo…it’s sure to make you blush! Your time to stamp your’ two little ducks’, ‘garden gates’ or ‘Heinz varieties’ is every Tuesday from 3pm in the GT Bar. (FREE)
- Autonomy Trivia: The weekly Trivia Competition held every Tuesday, 1pm at Bar on the Hill is taking on a special Autonomy theme, get ready to be tested on the history of the university. As usual it is free to enter and there are some great prizes to be won! (FREE)
Wednesday, 8 August
- Auchmuty Markets: Head to the Auchmuty Couryard from 11am and find something different at the Campus Markets as our stallholders share you with their variety of wares. Drool over stalls bursting with yummy treats (Cupcakes anyone?) and buy up on unique hand-made clothes and jewellery. You are sure to find some some quirky brick-a-brack as well as plenty of pre-loved bargains. (FREE)
- Autonomy Trivia: What do you know about the History of UoN? Get down to the GT Bar for Trivia from 1pm today. This is your chance to show your brainy side and win great prizes. Demonstrate your quick thinking skills with skins when our free Bar Trivia happens at GT Bar, Every Wednesday from 1pm. (FREE)
- Pool Comp: The GT Bar hosts a Pool Comp which is held every Wednesday from 3pm at the GT Bar. It is free to enter plus there are prizes for the winner! (FREE)
- Wind up Wednesday: Every Wednesday is Wind Up Wednesday at Bar on the Hill, we’ll see you between 3pm and 7pm for there are free bar snacks, $4 spirits and $3.50 beer and wine. Come and enjoy live music and a drink on the verandah. (FREE)
- Bluejuice: Celebration of the Festival of Autonomy continues with energetic five-piece Bluejuice announcing their plans to bring their unbreakable live set to Bar on the Hill. Supported by Deep Sea Arcade and The Preachers. Check out the event details here.
Thursday, 9 August
- Live Entertainment: Berias is here to entertain you. With influences from Jazz, Latin and Contemporary genres there is a plethora of satisfaction to be had from listening to this rich, vibrant music. Head to Bar on the Hill from 12.30pm today. (FREE)
- U Member Happy Hour: Get along to the GT bar and flash your Ucard to enjoy a delicious 20% off the price of all drinks! There’s also free bar snacks for you to, err, snack on. Gotta love U Member Happy Hour! (FREE)
Friday, 10 August
- Autonomy Day Party - Let's go back to 1965!: From 7am to 4pm - The traditional Auto Day fun and frivolity. Check out event details here. This year the traditional UoN Autonomy day party is set to take on a sixties theme. The first day of January, 1965 signified when the illustrious University of Newcastle was declared Autonomous from its forebearer, the University of New South Wales. This year students are invited to go back to that fateful day in 1965 and celebrate our independence with a fabulous sixties vibe. There will be prizes awarded for the best 1965 themed costume.
- U Member $5
- UoN Students $10 (You must have a current student card to get in, that's the one with a tan background)
- Guests $20 (All guests must be accompanies by a student. A student may only bring one guest).
- Carnival on the Oval. From 9am. Inflatable fun on Oval 4! Event details are here. (FREE)
- Auchmuty 500 Billy Cart Race 9.30am - Billy Cart races in the Aviation car park. Event details here. Or download and entry form here. (FREE)
Tips and Advice
- Be polite and respectful of those who have to work or study.
- Look after your mates, be safe and have fun.
- Get involved with the range of activities throughout the week.
- Don’t drink anywhere other than the Bar on the Hill or GT Bar. The campus is an alcohol-free zone.
- Don’t disturb staff members or students who have to work/study.