If you're new to living on-campus or an existing resident and not sure how to go about doing something, read through some of our frequently asked questions and answers for help.
All of our Colleges are fully furnished except for bed linen, which can be purchased on arrival if necessary. All rooms include a single bed (except for Barahineban rooms which may be configured with either a king-sized bed or two king singles for twin share), study desk and chair, study lamp, wardrobe and storage for books and personal items. Students are able to bring a bar fridge (not a full size one) for their rooms if they wish. Kitchen and bed linen packs will be available for purchase via the Accommodation Portal.
We recommend that you bring the following items with you to College:
- Licence/photo ID
- Bed linen, including sheets, pillows, blanket. Or you may wish to order a bed linen package for your room through the Accommodation Portal.
- Bath towels
- Alarm clock
- Clothes Hangers
- Laundry basket/bag
- Mosquito Repellent/Sunscreen
- Study Stationery
College Name (+ room number if Barahineban)
University of Newcastle
130 University Drive
Callaghan NSW 2308
Room Number Blue Gum House
University of Newcastle
10 Chittaway Road
Ourimbah NSW 2258
All mail is delivered to the Accommodation Services Office where it is sorted by College. General mail is sorted into a pigeon-hole under the first letter of your family name. Pigeon-holes are located in the following places:
•Edwards Hall: Beside the Accommodation Services Office
•Evatt House: D Block Underground
•International House: Study Room
•Barahineban: Mailboxes located outside the main entrance
•Blue Gum House: Either distributed or it can be collected in person at reception in Student Support.
Sometimes mail will come for you that can’t be distributed to the pigeon-holes. If this happens you will be notified by student email to attend the Accommodation Services office with your photo identification. At the office you may collect the item that is being held for you, or you may be issued with a BLUE CARD for other parcels or important mail items that need your signature. When the staff at the office give you the BLUE CARD they will also tell you how you may collect the item personally from the Mail Room. Please ensure you have your photo identification and the BLUE CARD for presentation at the Mail Room to collect your item.
If you are unable to collect the card or the item in person, you must send an email confirmation to Accommodation Services indicating the person you nominate to collect it on your behalf.
If you have a vehicle and wish to park at the residences for the duration of your time living at College, you must display a Residential Parking Permit. This permit will allow you to park in the designated 'Residential' car parks at the residential precinct only. To obtain a Residential Parking Permit, you can pre-pay for a permit on the Accommodation Portal and pick it up when you check in. The permit must be displayed on your vehicle whenever you park in a residential car park.
Please note a Residential Parking Permit is different to a Student Parking Permit. A separate Student Parking Permit is required if you wish to park in any car park outside the residential precinct. Learn more about how to obtain a Student Parking Permit here.
All bed/study rooms have wired broadband internet access and wireless access is available in all common rooms except the common study rooms of International House and Edwards Hall. To connect your computer/laptop visit the IT Services website for instructions. All residents have a phone in their room for internal calls. Internal calls are free. Learn more here about how to use your telephone.
Yes, our laundry facilities include:
- Brand new front loading washing machines and industrial dryers utilising current technology, with the highest energy and water consumption ratings to ensure a faster, more environmentally responsible laundry facility for EVERY college.
- Refurbishments to every laundry building with non-slip flooring, motion sensor lighting, new, brightly coloured benches and a fresh coat of paint!
- A digital system that allows you to check which machines are free from the comfort of your room – no more running to the laundry on a cold winter day only to find all the machines are taken.
- The new washers and dryers will have a nominal pay-per-use charge - $2 per wash and $2 per 30 minute dry - collected through your Accommodation Portal account - which will allow us to provide you with the optimal laundry facilities you’ve asked us for. This is a pre-paid function and you must pre-load credit in order to use the laundries.
- Students must provide their own washing baskets and detergent.
How to register and pay for laundry use:
- Visit accommodation Services office with your student card during office hours (Semester: Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 6.00pm
University Vacation: Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 4.30pm)
- Ask staff to register your card for laundry use.
- Staff will swipe your card to register it.
- Visit the accommodation portal online to pre-load credit to use the laundries.
- Click on ‘Accounts’ tab. On the accounts menu page click into ‘3. Payment’ tab.
- 3. Select ‘Laundry Machine Charge’ in the ‘Account to Pay’ drop down field.
- 4. Type the value you wish to preload in the ‘Payment Amount’ field.
- 5. Select ‘Pay Now’ to proceed to payment screen. Enter your credit card details as prompted.
This payment system on your student card works in a similar way to the library print system but please note this is a separate system and you can not use your print credit for the laundry usage or vice versa.
Check for free washing machines and dryers
You can now check which washing machines and dryers are free from the comfort of you room. Simply click Laundry Monitor and choose your closest laundry. Easy!
In order to keep these facilities working at their optimal level please take time to read the operating instructions for the washers and dryers found in each laundry.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please only use detergent suitable for FRONT LOADING machines.
There are many methods of communication used within the Colleges. Each College has their own Facebook group or page, and ResLife have a 'University of Newcastle Colleges' Facebook group. You should also visit this website regularly for event updates and important information and don't forget to attend your fortnightly College meetings with your RA.
You must keep your room key with you at all times. If you lock yourself out of your room during office hours see the staff at the Accommodation Services office. If it is after hours, you will need to contact your On-call RA. If you continue to lock yourself out of your room, fines will begin to apply in incremental increases.
Each request to withdraw prior to the end of a signed License Agreement is looked at and assessed on its own merit. In most instances once you have accepted the offer of Accommodation you are bound by the Terms and Conditions of the License Agreement.
If you need to apply for a payment plan or have any issues with paying your rent on time, you will need to pay a visit the friendly staff at the Accommodation Services Office which is located in Edwards Hall.
Throughout the year you will be given the opportunity to purchase College merchandise or attend events such as Winery Tours and Formal Functions. You will need to register online and the charges will be placed on your Accommodation Account for payment via the Accommodation Services Online Portal.
If you have any maintenance issues in your room or shared living areas then you will need to lodge a maintenance request online. To lodge a request you need to go to the Accommodation Services Online Portal and enter your login ID and password. These requests are looked after by your friendly college caretaker or contractors as soon as possible. For urgent maintenance requests, during office hours contact the Accommodation Services office (Callaghan: Extension 41000) or Facilities Management (Ourimbah: Extension 84291), or after-hours phone your On-call RA who will contact Security.
To activate your meal tag, follow these instructions.